Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Christmas Party

It's after midnight and I need to be in bed, but I wanted to give an update about the party. I survived! It was beautifully decorated, complete with ice sculptures on the buffet tables. (I forgot the camera again! Joshua took this picture of me after we got home!) The food was excellent. Each table seated 8 people, but our table only had 4. For various reasons, the other people were not able to come at the last minute. So, Joshua and I shared the table with 2 single girls. They were actually easy to talk to and we had fun with them. There was a quiz sheet at each table with Christmas-y questions to answer. We had to answer them all together and submit our sheet to the "judges." It was a lot of fun! Does anyone know the country of origin for the poinsettia? I took a wild guess, and everyone agreed to write it down. It turned out that I was right! I'll tell you what...If you leave a comment with the correct answer, I'll enter you into a draw for a prize. Seriously! I've been wanting to do a giveaway, and this is perfect! Tomorrow I'll let you know what the prize is.

Anyway, back to the party... No one that we talked to tonight was drunk and we left as soon as the dancing and loud music began. The presentations and speeches were a little long-winded and boring, but it could be worse! We didn't win any door prizes, but that's O.K.! Thank you so much to everyone who prayed tonight. My father-in-law, who has worked for the bank for 19 years, was the one who prayed before the meal. He said a little bit before he prayed about remembering true meaning of Christmas. It was nice to hear that.

Oh, and I have to apologize for unintentionally lying about the number of people at the party. Joshua told me 1,000 (he was totally guessing), so I just quoted him. Oops! The official number was actually 552!
Here's one more pic, a self-portrait we took after we got home! The kids did great at home with the babysitter, so all in all, it was a good evening. Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Tomorrow I'm going to post a bunch of pictures from the last week - and I'll post a picture of what I'm going to give away!

7 comments:

Miriam said...

No far - it's going to look like I was copying Mamacita!!

Poinsettias are from Mexico (I learned that when doing missions work in Tijuana in 1988) and they're associated with Christmas because of their star shape.

Glad to see that you survived the party! And, gosh, do you guys ever look happy!!!

Kerry Shealy said...

Your skirt is beautiful...you look beautiful...I love the picture of you and Joshua...and I'm glad you had a good time!!!

markay714 said...

I coulda just looked at the comments to find out that the poinsettia came from Mexico, but I thought long and hard - and then googled it to find out it came from Mexico and was originally Euphorbia pulcherrima - poinsettia is definitely a little catchier!

Mandy said...

Sounds like a fun party! Love holiday parties...

Jen said...

In response to your comment - of course, you can come over for this meal when you're here in April! I hope that we get to see each other when you and your fam are in town.

geisme said...

Okay, Peggy, I agree with Miriam, it will look like we are copying Mamacita. But after reading her comment, I did google it & yes, I agree with her, it's from Mexico.

Glad you had a good time @ the party. You both look wonderful.
-Gail

Sarah M. said...

Hey Peggy! I found you thru Emily Jenning's blog. Too funny! Don and I now live in Iowa. He works at John Deere. You can see our gang and a bit of what is going on, building a house, by linking to my blog thru my profile.
I can't wait to show Don that I found you when he comes down from hanging drywall. We are headed to MI and his parent's tomorrow.